Letter from the Superintendent
I am very excited as we approach the beginning of a new school year! Whether you are returning or brand new to the district, I thank you for choosing to be part of Bernalillo Public Schools! We have set a solid foundation for a successful school year. We have aligned the language arts and math curriculum for grades K-12 and will be launching the new science standards this year. In addition, we have developed the common formative assessments through Illuminate Education which is tied directly to the CCSS standards. This year we have purchased the Wonders/Maravillas reading curriculum for grades K- 5.
I hope that you were able to relax and spend time taking care of yourself over the summer. The work we do each day is challenging and requires all of our energy to ensure the very best for each of the students we serve.
We will continue to place a priority on engaging students through relevant and meaningful learning experiences to include project based learning, inquiry based discussions, culturally responsive curriculum, career technical education, dual credit, science, engineering, technology and math (STEM), Pre-K, as well as the arts, music and athletics. A culture of collaboration will be evident district-wide as we re-brand our (PLC) time known as Professional Learning Communities to (TLC) Teaching, Learning and Collaboration time.
We will also be launching our new Strategic Plan which I will share during our welcome back orientation on August 7th at Bernalillo High School beginning at 7:30 a.m. and ending at 10:30 a.m. At BPS we are committed to:
- Ensuring all students will meet or exceed expected annual growth each year.
- Effectively communicating with all parents, students’ employees and community members.
- Ensuring all schools and work places are safe.
- Respecting the cultural diversity represented within the district.
- Implementing of innovative programs which are relevant to our students to include but not limited to: early childhood, career technical, internships, dual credit, and culturally responsive curriculum.
It takes everyone working together, and I am honored to be working collaboratively with a dynamic team of professionals to make BPS the best it can be. Again, welcome and get ready for an amazing year!
First day for students is August 13th